John is a young man with a traumatic spinal cord injury that has resulted in paraplegia. He is leaving the rehab hospital on a weekend pass and has confided to his chaplain that he intends to kill himself. The chaplain calls the ethics service for assistance.
- Should the hospital issue the pass?
- What are the ethics issues involved?
- What information do you need to find out to move forward?
- Who would you invite to a discussion about this issue?
Some Values and Ethics Issues to Consider
- Respect for autonomy
- Duty to provide care
- Living at risk
- Moral distress
- Compliance with policy
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality