A registered nurse is also a registered massage therapist and runs a private practice out of her home. Physicians often refer patients to her privately for massage therapy, but have also begun asking this RN to provide massage services while on duty in the hospital. She feels uncomfortable about this and after speaking with her manager and director, requests an ethics consult.
- What are the main ethics issues to think about in this situation?
- What other issues need addressing in this case?
- How would your committee respond to this request?
Some Values and Ethics Issues to Consider
- Compliance with policy
- Resource allocation
- Health care provider relationships
- Organizational culture
- Overlapping roles and responsibilities
- Professional boundaries