A person who was a first responder at an accident comes into the Emergency Room with blood/body fluid on himself. The patient who was involved in the accident was immediately sent to Halifax where he later passed away. His family had refused to allow his blood to be drawn for testing. The first responder is concerned about disease transmission and wants this brought to ethics. The request came via the Patient Care Manager in the Emergency Department.
- What are the ethics issues in this case?
- Who has decision-making authority in this case?
- How will you proceed with the request?
Some Values and Ethics Issues to Consider
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Respect for patient autonomy
- Duty to provide care
- Patient-family relationships