Natasha is 15 years old and you, an RN, are meeting her for the first time at a prenatal visit. Her boyfriend, Josh, is 17. Natasha is planning on feeding her baby breast milk substitute as she thinks it will be easier. She has heard that it is harder to lose “baby weight” while breastfeeding, and is worried about fitting into her bikini this summer. She also tells you that she has heard that breastfeeding makes breasts saggy and is worried that Josh won’t be attracted to her anymore. Her mother, on the other hand, is pressuring her to breastfeed.
- What values are at play here and for whom?
- Are there any ethics issues in this situation?
- How would you continue the discussion with Natasha?
Some Values and Ethics Issues to Consider
- Respect for autonomy
- Patient-family relationships
- Patient-centred care
- Responsibility for health
- Stigma and blame